This Division Director is responsible for providing leadership, direction and management to all Child & Family Services and for working collaboratively with the directors of Didi Hirsch’s other mental health and substance abuse programs to provide high quality services in communities where stigma or poverty limit access. S/He will also work in close cooperation with and provide support to Quality Improvement initiatives; particularly they related to data collection and reporting, medical records management and compliance, assurance audits, and impact assessments. One of eight Division Directors in the organization, this position is tasked with ensuring compliance to program philosophies and standards, contracts, and with policies, procedures and guidelines established by Didi Hirsch.
• Supervise the staff; in particular, manage, develop and support the five Program Directors (in various Didi Hirsch locations and Centers) and the Division administrative assistant;
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with other Division Directors, as well as with the Business Intelligence, Training, IT, HR, Facilities and Research and Evaluation departments to foster a productive and collaborative environment for employees and clients;
• Build a highly effective team to accomplish Child & Family Services Division’s short- and long-term goals;
• Oversee the hiring, orientation, evaluation, and training of staff, volunteers, and interns assigned to the Division;
• Develop program policy and procedure and maintain on-going evaluation of program effectiveness and clinical intervention as needed;
• Interface with related community agencies – notably L.A. County Department of Mental Health – attend meetings as scheduled and/or needed, including all Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) related issues;
• Negotiate with funding agencies and lead project and grant management efforts for the Division in collaboration with appropriate colleagues;
• Participate in relevant internal committees, task forces and/or groups;
• Ensures resources and systems are in place to support the training and continuous learning of staff;
• Represents Didi Hirsch on matters relating to the division at meetings with other private and public agencies.
Program Quality, Compliance and Reporting:
• Measure progress against plans and stated goals as they apply to Child & Family Services program outcomes and activities;
• Develop and implement reporting methods consistent with Didi Hirsch’s procedures to ensure that data and other information gathered is accurate and reported in a timely manner;
• Collaborate with Director of Quality Improvement to develop program protocols and ensure that program elements are in compliance with County, State and other regulatory agencies;
• Implement and enforce appropriate disciplinary mechanisms when violations are detected; establish reasonable steps to respond appropriately to the violation and to prevent similar violations in the future;
• Evaluate the results of overall program operations regularly and systematically, and report results to the Senior Vice President, Clinical Operations and others as appropriate;
• Capture, review, and analyze program/service statistical and outcome data to provide useful information for assessing performance;
• Use performance and statistical service data to engage program management staff in strategic thinking and decision making;
• Attend, participate, lead and/or facilitate meetings as requested or required on the division, senior and executive level.
• Manage and oversee a Division budget of +/- $15 million;
• Collaborate with finance department to prepare and review annual budgets and contract agreements;
• Monitor contract performance; review monthly and annual financial statements make plans of correction as needed keeping supervisor apprised of progress and challenges;
• Efficiently utilize financial resources while maintaining commitment to quality service when requesting and purchasing program equipment and supplies.
Skills & Experience
• Minimum of 10 years of professional experience, including a minimum of 3 years of supervisory/management in a mental health and/or substance abuse environment;
• Demonstrated knowledge of directing and managing multiple programs in adult and family mental health and/or substance abuse services in a non-profit social service/mental health/substance abuse agency;
• Know and comply with Didi Hirsch policies and procedures, HIPAA, DMH policies and documentation guidelines, and other state, federal regulations relating to adult and family service programs for individuals with a history of mental illness and/or substance abuse;
• Demonstrated expertise in program development and clinical supervision and successful track record of having provided clinical service;
• Experience in budget preparation, fiscal management and contract negotiations – ideally for mental health and/or substance abuse services;
• History of managing a team and budget of similar size and complexity;
• Able to present ideas, information, and viewpoints clearly, both verbally and in writing;
• Experience managing employee performance consistent with defined Didi Hirsch processes;
• Efficiently us the personal computer to include: word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, database, paperless charting system, and project management;
• Current California driver’s license and a driving record acceptable to Didi Hirsch’s insurance carrier;
• Working knowledge of/experience working with L.A. County Department of Mental Health strongly preferred.
Personal & Leadership Traits
• Demonstrates positive, cooperative and collegial leadership and management style;
• Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with peers and colleagues to foster a sense of shared responsibility and success;
• Highly flexible; can change direction and “roll with the punches” without undue frustration;
• Adapts to changing needs by acquiring new skills and knowledge;
• Capable of both seeing the big picture and maintaining command of the details;
• Utilizes analysis, experience and judgment to make management decisions;
• High level of self-awareness and emotional intelligence;
• Can nurture/develop staff while at the same time set and enforce appropriate boundaries;
• Supports the values and mission of Didi Hirsch as related to employment;
• Demonstrates commitment to team objectives and Didi Hirsch philosophies;
• Engaging; hard working; passionate.
Education & Credentials:
The successful candidate must have and undergraduate degree, as well as a Master or Doctorate degree in the field of mental health. Licensure as a clinical social worker, marriage and family therapist or psychologist is also required for this position.
Additional Salary Information: Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services is offering a comprehensive compensation package inclusive of salary (commensurate with experience) and full benefits. Benefits include: health, dental and vision insurance; life insurance; 14 vacation and 12 sick days; 10 paid holidays; and a 403(b) Tax Sheltered Savings (Retirement) Plan with an employer match of up to 5% of compensation after the first year of employment.
Kevin Chase Executive Search Group is a national consulting and executive search firm serving mission-driven, nonprofit organizations in the human services, social justice, healthcare philanthropy, education, and arts & culture sectors. In addition to highly customized search services, Kevin Chase Search partners with Boards, Search Committees, Senior Leadership Teams, and stakeholder groups on critical leadership transitions.