Position Overview: Under the direction of the Regional Patient Care Director, and/or designee, the Patient Care Manager assumes clinical and operational responsibility as well as fiscal responsibility for his/her assigned Department(s) incorporating CareMount Medical policies, goals and long range plan. The Patient Care Manager works collaboratively with the Regional Patient Care Director, the Senior Director of Operations & Chief Nursing Officer, Department Heads, and other administrators to provide leadership, direction and management for clinical and non-clinical staff to ensure quality patient care and services in all clinical areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to the following):
A. CLINICAL PRACTICE/PATIENT CARE
1. Responsible for excellence in the clinical practice and the delivery of patient care; 2. Assesses and identifies the needs for and assists with program development; 3. Develops and maintains an environment that supports excellent in clinical practice.; 4. Maintains a high level of clinical excellence in his/her specialty; 5. Functions effectively with other health care providers during emergency situations; 6. Acts as a resource and role model for clinical staff in the delivery of patient care; 7. Collaborates with Regional Patient Care Director, Sr. Director of Operations/Chief Nursing Officer, other Patient Care Managers, Department Heads and Physicians to support excellence in the patient care delivery system throughout CareMount Medical; 8. Reviews and implements policies, procedures and standards of care to assure excellence in patient care, and compliance with any applicable regulatory or accrediting agencies; 9. Defines and implements a patient care service system for his/her designated department(s) that ensures quality care and optimal patient outcomes.
B. FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
1. Participates in the preparation, monitoring, analyzing and maintenance of annual salaries, OTPS, and capital budgets for all assigned departments; 2. Establishes yearly goals for assigned department and develops a plan for meeting departmental goals considering human and material resources; 3. Evaluates the impact of proposed new programs on department and MKM/\G and develops a plan to implement new programs accordingly; 4. Evaluates the impact of new programs that have been implemented; 5. Collaborates with Regional Patient Care Director to determine capital, salaries and OTPS needs for new MDs and programs; 6. Monitors P&L statements monthly and collaborates with Regional Patient Care Director regarding variances from budget allotments; 7. Maintains communication with Regional Patient Care Director regarding all budgetary issues.
1. Maintains open lines of communication with administration, directors, other patient care managers and other CareMount Medical personnel, within and between departments--even during periods of heightened stress; 2. Acknowledges and addresses patients, staff, and managers in a friendly and positive manner. 3. Maintains open lines of communication with non-CareMount Medical physicians, administrators, and other community agencies and services; 4. Maintains confidentiality of all information obtained from patient records and conversations with patients/significant others, physicians, managers, and other CareMount Medical personnel. 5. Uses discretion and sensitivity during all patient interactions; 6. Uses a non-judgmental approach when talking with patients, staff, and coworkers; 7. Uses available electronic email/computer systems to communicate inter-and intra departmentally as per departmental and/or CareMount Medical protocol(s).
D. TEACHING AND EDUCATION
1. Uses clinical and professional management knowledge and skills to educate both clinical and non-clinical staff and others effectively (e.g., via written information, face-to-face communication, phone communication 2. Continuously evaluates the results of education and modifies the teaching plan based on outcomes; 3. Designs and implements educational activities that are appropriate and consistent with CareMount Medical policies and practice, and which supports excellence in patient care.
E. ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS
1. Work area reflects neat and organized work habits; 2. Sets priorities effectively to meet deadlines, and/or maintain project timeline; 3. Evaluates tasks and delegates appropriately; 4. Uses time, supplies, and human resources effectively and efficiently.
1. Maintains appropriate and timely documentation of interactions with staff as per CareMount Medical policies; 2. Completes a probationary evaluation form after 90 days of employment for all newly hired and/or transferred staff; 3. Completes annual performance evaluations of clinical and non-clinical staff within timeframe established by CareMount Medical policies; 4. Completes all necessary Human Resources forms (Request for Personnel, Payroll Change Form, etc.) accurately and in a timely manner.
1. Demonstrates effective problem-solving skills, particularly when urgent/emergent or unexpected clinical or administrative events arise in order to maintain both the smooth functioning of the department(s) and patient/personnel safety; 2. Delegates tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel based on educational level, ability, and defined job functions; 3. Provides direction to personnel and performs an ongoing evaluation of their performance; 4. Identifies opportunities for staff performance improvement and implements correction action plans as needed; 5. Based on ongoing performance reviews, uses the progressive disciplinary process as needed in accordance with CareMount Medical policies; 6. Serves as a catalyst for maintaining excellent in patient care and improving standards of practice; 7. Demonstrates leadership skills through the ability to set and attain goals; 8. Serves as an effective role model for professional conduct and professional practice (e.g., maintaining composure during times of increased stress 9. Serves as an effective preceptor to new staff and new patient care managers as needed; 10. Encourages staff development through providing opportunities and mentoring to achieve individual growth and development; 11. Actively participates in Patient Care Services monthly meetings; 12. Designates an appropriate charge nurse to oversee the Department in the absence of the Patient Care Manager; 13. Designates a Patient Care Manager to oversee the charge nurse, and intervene in administrative issues as needed, in the absence of the Department Patient Care Manager.
1. Demonstrates self-direction, accountability, sound judgment, and ethical behavior in all activities; 2. Demonstrates patient advocacy; 3. Maintains a commitment to the spirit of inquiry as evidenced by a clinical knowledge base that remains current and reflects understanding of relevant clinical research findings; 4. Participates in professional conferences, workshops, continuing education programs, and/or pertinent professional organizations; 5. Reads current, clinically applicable professional and managerial journals. 6. Attends mandatory conferences/in-services in order to maintain (active) NYS registration, in good standing with the NY State Education Department if applicable.
II. GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL CLINICAL OPERATIONS EMPLOYEES
A. Arrives to work on time or notifies Regional Patient Care Director and/or designee as soon as employee becomes aware that he/she will be absent or tardy, and/or as per individual department protocol; B. Maintains an acceptable attendance records as per CareMount policies and procedures; C. Attends all mandatory CareMount programs and in-services as required and applicable; D. Dresses according to CareMount dress code; E. Assumes responsibility for reading, understanding, and complying with information contained in the current CareMount Employee Handbook, CareMount Administrative Policy & Procedure Manual; F. Maintains confidentiality under all circumstances; G. Performs related work as required; H. Assists Regional Patient Care Director and/or Senior Director of Operations/Chief Nursing Officer by taking on other assignments, assuming additional responsibility, working additional hours, or altering regularly scheduled hours, when necessary, for the efficient operation of assigned department(s) and CareMount Medical.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMAND: Requires full range of body motion including moving and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time. Occasionally exerts up to 100 pounds of force, such as assisting patients in arising from the exam table, pushing patients in wheelchairs, or assisting patients into/out of wheelchairs. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: May require frequent exposure to communicable diseases and body fluids, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, and other substances and conditions common to a medical office/healthcare environment. Requires use of computer, potentially for long periods of time. Subject to irregular or flexible hours to meet deadlines.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduate of an accredited Nursing Program with current licensure as a nurse in New York State and current NYS registration in good standing, and/or BS in related field, i.e. Health Care/Business Administration. Record of prior stable employment and/or favorable references.
Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. CareMount Medical/CareMount Health Solutions will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: At least two years of recent pertinent and professional clinical management experience in a hospital, medical office, or other clinical setting.
CareMount Medical, P.C. is New York State’s premier multispecialty medical group, providing comprehensive care of the highest quality to over 665,000 patients. CareMount has more than 45 locations throughout Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Columbia, and Ulster counties and New York City. CareMount’s 650 physicians and advanced practice professionals cover more than 50 medical specialties. CareMount is affiliated with world-class medical institutions, including Massachusetts General Hospital and Northwell Health. CareMount offers on-site laboratory/radiology services, endoscopy and infusion suites, and operates eight urgent-care centers. CareMount physicians are featured in respected Top Doctors and Best Doctors listings, nationally and regionally. For additional information please visit: www.caremountmedical.com.