YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT A RESUME WITH YOUR APPLICATION!
Case Acquisition Specialist – Oncology Registry at AdventHealth Orlando
Location Address: 601 E. Rollins St., Orlando, FL 32801
Top Reasons to work at AdventHealth Orlando
Located on a lush tropical campus, our flagship hospital, 1,368-bed AdventHealth Orlando
serves as the major tertiary facility for much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and South America
AdventHealth Orlando houses one of the largest Emergency Departments and largest cardiac catheterization labs in the country
We are already one of the busiest hospitals in the nation, providing service excellence to more than 32,000 inpatients and 125,000 outpatients each year
Full Time, Days
You Will Be Responsible For:
The Case Acquisition Specialist (CAS) is responsible for case finding and longitudinal follow-up procedures across the Central Florida Division Cancer Registry. All cases are to be accurately captured and followed up with in accordance with national, state and accreditation requirements. As content expert, the CAS, is accountable for definition and review of both reportable and nonreportable cancer cases and completion of ongoing longitudinal follow-up. The CAS will alert leadership of potential discrepancies in documentation or changes in case acquisition requirements.
What You Will Need:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
High School Grad or Equiv and 2+ years experience
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
• Associate's degree in Health Services, Health Information Management or completed coursework related to Health Services
• Certified Tumor Registrar certification (CTR)
• Preferred coursework or equivalent experience in medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology, oncology and information technology
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
• Current and valid Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) certification
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE STRONGLY PREFERRED:
• Strong knowledge of ACOS/COC and state registry data collection requirements; able to accurately interpret components of medical record including operative, pathology, radiology, lab and autopsy report
• Skilled in the use of the following standardized coding instructions and rules: Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program (SEER) Solid Tumor Multiple Primary and Histology rule set, SEER Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Neoplasm Coding Manual and Database, SEERRX - Interactive Drug Database, Commission on Cancer's Standards for Oncology Registry Entry (STORE) Manual, and the Florida Cancer Data System (FCDS) Data Acquisition Manual.
• Responsible for thorough knowledge of the disease process, diagnostic methods and procedures that occur across the care continuum for oncology patients. composition of the health record, data interpretation.
• Must be familiar with abstracting processes, principles and data standards.
• Strong knowledge of characteristics of different types of cancers, including typical disease progression, relative prognoses and standards of care.
• Shows good judgment in prioritizing work to meet department goals, standards and deadlines
• Proficient knowledge and use of Microsoft 365 applications.
• Effective communication skills with ability to communicate with leadership and cancer registry team members.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
• Proficiency with electronic medical records, computerized cancer registry databases, word processing software, and windows-based operating system
Serves as the Cancer Registry content expert responsible for identification of the reportable and non-reportable of cancer registry candidates in strict compliance with standards set by federal, state, and national accrediting body requirements. • Performs and maintains proper coding and documentation of all non-reportable cases in accordance with federal, state, and national accrediting body requirements. • Participates in special projects or initiatives as assigned, to improve the quality and outcomes for patients in the Cancer Institute. • Responsible for utilizing the all available resources from the patients' medical record to designates cases as analytical or non-analytic for the abstracting team • Demonstrates an understanding of medical terminology, most specifically terms related to anatomy, physiology, oncology, pathology, radiology and cancer treatment modalities. • Demonstrates an ability to interpret components of a patient's medical history, including but not limited to radiology and pathology reports, operative reports, history and physical reports, physician and nurses' notes, discharge summaries, treatment protocol descriptions, and physician's letters. • Maintains professional work environment that is conducive to achieving accuracy and productivity goals. Ability to manage multiple priorities effectively and meet registry established deadlines. • Responsible for seeking opportunities to maintain clinical expertise to incorporate latest developments and trends related to the cancer registry and national clinical guidelines. Attends educational, registry, or other conferences and training as appropriate. • Works closely with the abstracting team Case Acquisition Lead to determine class of case • Adheres to hospital policy for protecting patient confidentiality per HIPAA guidelines • Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the department.
At AdventHealth, Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ is our mission. It calls us to be His hands and feet in helping people feel whole. Our story is one of hope — one that strives to heal and restore the body, mind and spirit. Our more than 80,000 skilled and compassionate caregivers in hospitals, physician practices, outpatient clinics, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and hospice centers are committed to providing individualized, wholistic care.