Location: Renton, Washington
Internal Number: EPICS002613
Washington Permanente Medical Group (WPMG) is a clinician-led, self-governed and independent multi-specialty group practice, providing care to the more than 700,000 Kaiser Permanente patients in Washington state. We work unencumbered by traditional health care obstacles and without silos; prioritizing people over profits, collaboration over ego, and driven by a singular goal: our patients' health. At WPMG, we take care of the whole person, with a team to address the fundamental, social, and emotional needs that contribute to total health. We are clinicians motivated by the desire to make a purposeful difference in the communities we serve, and in how health care is delivered.
Kaiser Permanente-Washington Permanente Medical Group is seeking a full-time 1.0 FTE Epic Solutions Architect - Quality, Population Health to join our WPMG HQ team in Renton, Washington.
As a condition of employment, all clinicians and employees are required to verify COVID-19 vaccination status. As part of the pre-boarding process and before starting work, you will be required to verify your vaccination status, and will be provided an opportunity to apply for an accommodation based on a religious or medical reason, if needed.
Benefits include: Medical/dental/vision benefits, 401(k) & employer-paid retirement contributions, paid vacation, long-term disability, long-term care benefits.
We're looking for smart, passionate IT professionals who want to be part of a new team, working to improve the IT tools and analytics we use to care for our patients, focusing on the area of population health. The Epic Solutions Architect is an individual contributor primary responsible for developing strategy and technical architecture for population health systems both internal and external to Epic. They will help translate our clinical population health strategy into tools that improve patient care and quality outcomes. The position is also responsible for providing project support from design to implementation and proactively identifying and recommending solutions to business problems. Additionally, they will have some responsibility for supporting our quality outcomes and analytics reporting.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- and external to EPIC
- Understands 'big picture' and how to translate that understanding into a technical solution.
- Deep understanding of how EPIC and its auxiliary systems work including EPIC Datalink, Registries, Health Maintenance etc. that allows out of the box solutioning to occur.
- Can easily communicate and decipher technical solutions to non-technical stakeholders and conversely, can understand a clinical concept and form the relevant questioning to come to a clear understanding of what is needed.
- Acts as a point of reference for the EPIC development and connects PMG to the IT organization
- Supports mentoring of more junior resources, bringing best practices and recommendations to improve the overall skillset of the team.
- Develops analytics (reports, dashboards, ad-hoc queries) to support and drive improvement in the area of population health and quality reporting.
- Completes work assignments and supports business-specific projects by applying expertise in subject area; supporting the development of work plans to meet business priorities and deadlines; ensuring team follows all procedures and policies; collaborating cross-functionally to make effective business decisions; solving complex problems; escalating high priority issues or risks, as appropriate; and recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities.
- Assists in identification of specific interfaces, methods, parameters, procedures, and functions, as required, to support technical solutions.
- Supports functional and user-acceptance testing of technical solutions; completes documentation and change control requirements for project/deliverable implementations.
- Reviews and validates technical specifications and documentation.
- Collaborates with team members and subject matter experts to ensure functional specifications are converted into flexible, scalable, and maintainable solution designs.
- Provides implementation and post-implementation triage and support.
- Reviews and makes changes to technical specifications and documentation.
- Develops and executes unit testing to identify application errors and ensure software solutions meet functional specifications.
- Writes technical specifications and documentation.
- Ensures new and existing software solutions are developed with insight into industry best practices, strategies, and architectures.
- Builds partnerships with IT teams and vendors to ensure solutions adhere architectural standards, design patterns, and best practices.
- Demonstrates very strong customer-service and communications skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, CIS, or related field. Additional experience may be considered in lieu of degree requirement.
Minimum five (5) years' experience developing EPIC solutions up to an enterprise level.
Minimum three (3) years' experience working on project(s) involving the implementation of solutions applying development life cycles (e.g., SDLC).
Minimum three (3) years' consulting on technical solutions within a clinical environment
Minimum ten (10) years in software development with a good understanding on scaling technical solutions within a EMR system.
Good understanding of how EPIC and other external systems can support population care and its management.
Understanding of how EPIC systems performance can be impacted and solutions to mitigate this risk.
CERTIFICATIONS / Licensure
Epic Ambulatory Certification or Proficiency.
Healthy Planet Certification or Proficiency.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Technical Expertise - Required
- Demonstrated experienced knowledge of technology solutioning within the EPIC system
- Demonstrated experience of technology solutioning and scalability
- Demonstrated experience writing complex SQL queries.
- Demonstrated competency and experience in analysis and project management, attention to detail critical.
- Expert analytical skills: understands and can interpret data to make decisions
- Demonstrated ability to translate business requirements to technical solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and design new large-scale IT systems and modifications to existing systems that support major agency mission objectives Strong interpersonal, communication (verbal, non-verbal, and listening) skills.
- Must exhibit efficiency, collaboration, candor, openness, and results orientation skillset. Commitment to achieve identified outcomes.
- Highly organized and ability to manage multiple projects, flexibility and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with physician leaders, project managers, other clinical staff, and IT teams within WPMG and KPWA.
- Ability to build trust and respect with colleagues and work with diverse teams.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (oral and technical)--the ability to take complex problems, assess and describe them and communicate to a variety of audiences.
- Possess strong commitment to team environment dynamics.
- Must possess CARE competencies that include excellent customer service skills and expertise in job functions, accountability for work, and creation of productive working relationships
Service Excellence- Required
- Understands and responds promptly and courteously to customer needs and expectations.
- Follows through to see if customer needs were met and keeps them informed of status.
- Timely when responding to voicemail, e-mail and interoffice communications.
- Expresses ideas clearly and accurately both orally and in writing.
- Encourages, respectfully listens to and acknowledges diverse points of view.
- Treats all customers with courtesy and respect.
- We are professionals serving professionals.